Melanie offers online classes for
children to help them realize their
writing and publishing dreams
Part of Melanie's dream has always been to encourage kids to follow their own. In addition to school visits,
Melanie has offered summer classes for young authors and artists where students were introduced to many books, authors, and illustrating styles and mediums. All of these classes culminated in each student creating a book of his/her own.
Now, Melanie offers classes via a
working individually with students to:
* introduce them to multiple authors and writing styles
*expose them to the unlimited methods and materials of illustrating
*foster their creativity
*develop their writing and illustrating skills
*publish a book of their own via Amazon's Createspace
Melanie accepts only a limited number of students at a time, as the classes are individualized for each child. Assignments are provided via the password-protected page of this website and may include video instruction.
Course enrollment includes paperback copies of Where Do Falling Stars Go? and Where Do Falling Stars Go? More Rhymes To Ponder as well as two complimentary copies of the student's published book. All books are published in paperback. Two students (friend, sibling) enrolling together at the same time each receive 10% off of the cost of the course.
Please read the Course Information below and
complete and submit the Enrollment Request Form. Melanie would love to encourage your young
author or artist!
Course Information: Young Authors & Artists
Children ages 6-11
- Eight-week course with weekly assignments
- Assignments are posted on Wednesday and due on Tuesday of each week
- A $25 deposit is refunded when ALL assignments have been completed and submitted by the student on time during the eight weeks.
- There is a two-week grace period for completing and submitting the assignments; however, the $25 deposit will not be refunded. At the end of ten weeks (eight weeks plus grace period), the course has concluded.
- Weekly assignments, including artwork, may be submitted to Melanie via text or email by scanning or photographing the student's work. Please keep all original work in a folder (provided by Melanie) which will then be mailed to Melanie in the eighth week. This will allow her to scan the work to be used in the student's book and result in higher quality. All original materials will subsequently be returned to the student.
- Four paperback books (by Melanie and at least one published young author)
- A bespoke calendar with dates, reminders, and imagination-sparkers for the young author/artist
- A folder and prepaid mailer for storing and then mailing all of the student's coursework
- Two copies of the student's published book!
- The folder containing all of the student's original work
- Student exposure to multiple authors, illustrators, writing styles, and illustrating styles
- Student knowledge of the publishing process
- Student confidence in his/her own creativity
- Student accountability and time management
- Four complimentary children's books to add to home library
- Student becomes a published author/illustrator!
Course fee: $174 plus $25 deposit
- Payment is made via PayPal or personal check to Melanie
Please note that this course does not include marketing of the student's published book, nor does it result in any earnings by the student for books sold. Should 100 copies of the student's published book be purchased from www.amazon.com, the student will receive a $25 Amazon gift card from Melanie. Should the student want to explore future sales of the book with another publisher or literary agent, this will be jointly explored and agreed to by the student's legal guardian(s) and Melanie.